Monday, March 1, 2010

Corinda, in a Plum-pit. (NSFW for Classical Artistic Nudity Lots of Pretty Pictures)

Hamadryads, are a certain sort of tree-nymph who is forever bound --physically-- to her tree.

"A Hamadryad" - J.W Waterhouse

There were (at least) eight of them in Greek mythology, daughters of Hamadryades, and Oxylos (a forest spirit of the mountain) Each of the eight Hamadryad-nymphs presided over a particular type of tree; One of them was named Kraneia, and she was the Hamadryad nymph of the cherry tree.

Cherry Trees fall into the "Prunus" genus, as do many pit fruit such as peaches, apricots, and yes... plums. Plum trees and Cherry trees are very similar in many ways, even though they are not the same fruit, it is very similar fruit with similar effects on your digestive system. Even though they are not the same tree, the texture of their bark is similar, and the way they bloom in the spring, is also very similar. So similar, that a plum blossom is very difficult to distinguish from a cherry blossom, when both are removed from the tree.

Can you tell the difference? I'll reveal it at the end of this post.

Even the Black cherry and Black Plum fruit is astoundingly similar, and yet, so different.

A side note, see how black plums are redish-purple? Purple is simply not enough! That's what I go for with my hair! sadly this usually means tinting, which is a fiddly process at best and usually makes my hair rez hot pink before the textures come in. and I *hate* pink!

Similar, but not the same, like a mother is to her daughter.

Momma
I'm still working on her textures, and I have a few attachments to put on her too. But I loves my Cherry tree momma! But I will I ever know what turned *all* of her to wood while I was away?

What I share with my mother is tree nymph-hood, and as a fruit tree nymph I am what would be called a Meliad/Meliae, a "genus" that are known for many things, a few of which are the protectors of sheep and goats and of fruit-trees. ( think I need me a goat, maybe!)

Now, Nymphs are well known for being the consorts and companions of Satyrs...

Satyr and nymph. Roman mosaic - Pompeii

Since Hamadryads are a type of nymph, I don't see that they would be any different, in fact, I think it might have given a Satyr an advantage... since she couldn't really run!  Shimmy away maybe... but through the soil that could take a while. XD

Tile Mosaic, Pan & Hamadryad, from Pompeii

At any rate, this, is the inspiration for how a plum tree with a Satyr father, came to be. How a little baby meliad, might have a tree for a mother.

can not credit for this amazing and lovely picture. It was found on myspace.

Something that is lesser known, is that nymphs were often companions for centaurs also Particularly Lamian Centaurs..
Centaur-Nymph
It also seems to me by this picture... that a centaur can have his junk in the front. Thank you vereh much! Now you know why my man wears a toga, and why I can walk. You know you'd always wondered how I had them babies!

So it is also, the inspiration for how a nymph born of a Hamadryad, and a Satyr can marry a Centaur and have both a centaur for a son and a faun for a daughter. ((In greek mythology, anything could pretty much give birth to... anything! But even I desire some consistency here.)) Forgotten Realms (AD&D SE) explained it something like this (paraphrased) When a Daddy Satyr and a Mommy Dryad love each other very much  --or are at least horny enough, which is all the time-- they either have a Satyr or a Dryad baby! and yet, in mythology, Nymphs were always having babies with men. It seems to me that a nymph almost has a genetic neutrality about her.  Forgotten realms also says that female children between a Satyr/Dryad women are Dryads, and males are Satyrs.  But you know, limiting it to gender just isn't even realistic. I think men can be nymphs and females can be Satyrs or fauns, if this is what calls to them!

So, Satyr father = Faun Daughter. Centaur Husband = Centaur son.  And in a way, we're also just kind of mutts classified by characteristics.  Just like genetically strong people should be!


- Left: Plum. Right: Cherry.
- I can source all this, but I'm not going to unless asked.

2 comments:

  1. Psssht... no. It's like real life dating advice using mythological archetypes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, you two crack me up sometimes! ROFL! And, Cor, this has given me some things to think about on that subject we spoke of....hmmmm....(and yeah, I want this ALL sourced, classified, and alphabetized! HAHAHA :P )I'll get RIGHT on that, as soon as I get the house put back together...hahaha.. 2021 ok?

    ReplyDelete