Monday, May 21, 2012

What's new with me?

In reviewing my last post, I realise that there are a number of items that deserve updates.

I am no longer at my adorable little Mainland parcel I wrote about before.  Instead, Eacen and I have secured a much bigger parcel, with more prims, just down the road. What are we going to use it for?  Why, RP of course!

It is no small challenge, however, to build a space suitable for RP with friends in a skybox.  It takes forever to rez all those scultpies.  And if your draw distance is set below 256, all of our smoke and mirror tricks become glaringly obvious.  Mind you, we could build on the actual land below... but being next to a modern road, and most of it being submerged under water is even more awkward than a skybox.





Working on this much more humble project (yet to be announced) is not the only thing I have been up to. As you probably know I have a Second Life Toddler (who I alt. A challenging but drama free way to SL parenting).  Her name is Kraneia Taurus, though her nick name is twig, since she too, is an Epimeliad. I have always done the best I could with her, with limited options in Second Life.  Most prim babies wouldn't work for something that needed custom body parts and clothing. I went through a lot of work and lindens to make her prim baby as acceptable as possible.  But, when it came time for her to be less script-y and inanimate... I put her in a tiny avatar.


Beautiful in her own way,  but Tiny avatars have a lot of limitations.  Crunching an avatar into a bunch of sculpted prims, and then trying to animate is a nightmare.

But now, thanks to mesh, and the wonderful Yabusuka Baby Avatar I "Got myself a crying, talking, sleeping, walking, living doll"

I am truly sorry for the terrible song quote. Thankful, these wonderful baby avatars that allow for (almost) regular animations, and proper proportions and moving parts. It's also mod so I was able to do something that I love to do; customize the hell out of her.  I'll let the final product speak for itself.


I made her skin so she has a good family resemblance, and she gets curly hair like her mama.  She gets to wear real Greek-inspired clothes. The only way this could be more perfect was if Radegast (the program I use to double log my child avs) supported mesh. There is no logical reason for a text based viewer to support mesh.  I just never realised that the viewer you log in with is as important as the one you view through.  I suppose both have to be enabled. (It's still a great program, and useful for when I need Alekos to tag along.) I need to find a second lo-resource-using mesh enabled viewer if I am to double log.  I have a good computer, but it just doesn't handle two instances of Phoenix at the same time.

So anyway, that is what I have been up to the past few weeks. I have more I would like to discuss, but I think this post is long enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment